We Are Building.

Messer was founded in 1932, became employee-owned in 1990 and achieved almost $1.1 billion in annual revenue in 2015. Through it all, our focus on delivering quality to our customers has remained central to what we do.

Our mission is to lead the building construction process for sustained growth and profitability through professional performance that creates value for our customers, a company-wide commitment to a safe work environment, ethical business practices, and providing an environment where individual professional growth is the foundation for company growth.

1930s | 1940s | 1950s - 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s | 2010s

Our History

1930s

Frank Messer & Sons, Inc. is founded by Frank Messer in 1932. The family-owned company focuses on public works, constructing the central post office in Nashville, Tennessee, the public library in Toledo, Ohio, and a number of schools in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Nashville Post Office, completed by Messer in 1934, is located in Downtown Nashville and today is known as the Frist Center for the Visual Arts.
The Nashville Post Office, completed by Messer in 1934, is located in Downtown Nashville and today is known as the Frist Center for the Visual Arts.

1940s

Messer is awarded the contract to build the $37 million Wright Aeronautical Plant in Evendale, Ohio. It was considered at the time to be the largest building award ever let under one contract in the United States.

Considered the largest building award ever let under one contract in the United States, more than 12,000 people worked on construction of the $37 million Wright Aeronautical Plant in Evendale, Ohio.
Considered the largest building award ever let under one contract in the United States, more than 12,000 people worked on construction of the $37 million Wright Aeronautical Plant in Evendale, Ohio.
Construction of Denison University’s Life Science Building in Granville, Ohio, was completed by Messer in 1940.
Construction of Denison University’s Life Science Building in Granville, Ohio, was completed by Messer in 1940.
The Terrace Plaza Hotel in Downtown Cincinnati was completed by Messer in 1948.
The Terrace Plaza Hotel in Downtown Cincinnati was completed by Messer in 1948.

1950s-70s

Under the leadership of Frank’s son, Charles Messer, the company continues to grow as the company’s expertise begins to shift toward high-rise construction.

Messer constructing the Cincinnati Public Library, which was completed in 1952.
Messer constructing the Cincinnati Public Library, which was completed in 1952.
The University of Cincinnati’s Armory Field House in 1954. The building was home to University basketball from 1954-89, including two men’s NCAA championship teams, and today serves as a multi-use facility for University athletics.
The University of Cincinnati’s Armory Field House in 1954. The building was home to University basketball from 1954-89, including two men’s NCAA championship teams, and today serves as a multi-use facility for University athletics.

1980s

Messer focuses on attracting and retaining high-performing construction professionals and building the company’s capacity for performance. The focus pays off, and in 1987, the company performs more than $100 million worth of construction for the first time in its history.

Downtown Cincinnati’s 25-story One Lytle Place apartment tower was completed by Messer in 1980.
Downtown Cincinnati’s 25-story One Lytle Place apartment tower was completed by Messer in 1980.

1990s

Messer’s 99 employees purchase the company from the Messer family in 1990. The company begins to expand its footprint by opening regional offices in Lexington, Columbus and Dayton. Each region’s employees would live and work locally, preserving the company’s longtime commitment to delivering quality to customers. Rapid growth follows, and by 1997, Messer hits the $300 million annual revenue plateau for the first time.

The Aronoff Center in Downtown Cincinnati was completed by Messer in 1995.
The Aronoff Center in Downtown Cincinnati was completed by Messer in 1995.
Messer completed a renovation of Cincinnati's iconic Museum Center at Union Terminal in 1990.
Messer completed a renovation of Cincinnati's iconic Museum Center at Union Terminal in 1990.

2000s

The company changes its name to Messer Construction Co. Its regional footprint continues to grow with the opening of four additional regional offices – Louisville, Knoxville, Indianapolis, and Nashville. Messer put in place more than $500 million of revenue for the first time in its history and formed its Economic Inclusion department in 2005.

The 2,300-seat Benjamin & Marian Schuster Performing Arts Center in Downtown Dayton was completed by Messer in 2003.
The 2,300-seat Benjamin & Marian Schuster Performing Arts Center in Downtown Dayton was completed by Messer in 2003.
The University of Louisville’s 290,000-square-foot Clinical and Translational Research Building was completed by Messer in 2009.
The University of Louisville’s 290,000-square-foot Clinical and Translational Research Building was completed by Messer in 2009.
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Building in Frankfort, Kentucky, was completed by Messer in 2004.
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Building in Frankfort, Kentucky, was completed by Messer in 2004.

2010s

Messer opens its Charlotte regional office, and more growth ensues. Twenty-five years after becoming employee-owned, the company’s workforce has increased tenfold, its annual revenue has multiplied by more than eight, and it operates in nine cities throughout the Midwest and Southeast.

Johnson C. Smith University’s New Science Building completed in 2015. The building houses the Center for Renewable Energy, Center for Medical Informatics, Center for Analytics, and Center for Bioinformatics.
Johnson C. Smith University’s New Science Building completed in 2015. The building houses the Center for Renewable Energy, Center for Medical Informatics, Center for Analytics, and Center for Bioinformatics.
The Ohio State University North Residential District Transformation features 1.1 million square feet of new construction: eight new residence halls for more than 3,800 students, two dining halls and a fitness center. This project earned Messer the AGC of Ohio's prestigious 2016 Build Ohio Award.
The Ohio State University North Residential District Transformation features 1.1 million square feet of new construction: eight new residence halls for more than 3,800 students, two dining halls and a fitness center. This project earned Messer the AGC of Ohio's prestigious 2016 Build Ohio Award.
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Clinical Sciences Pavilion completed in 2015 and winner of the Build America Award as best new construction project valued over $200 million.
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Clinical Sciences Pavilion completed in 2015 and winner of the Build America Award as best new construction project valued over $200 million.