Co-ops and Internships
Messer can give you more than job experience. You can see what it feels like to be an employee-owner, grow professionally and make an impact on the team and community.
Co-op positions we regularly offer include
- Building Systems Engineer (MEP)
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Project Engineer
- Risk Management
- Virtual Design & Construction (BIM)
Each year, more than 100 students participate in the co-op program across all of our regions, and this number continues to grow. It’s your career path, and we want to support your growth where you can:
- Learn more about your career interests from day one.
- Move around to try different things and get a feel for where you excel.
- Focus on valuable work, not busywork.
- Work in one of our 10 regions or the corporate office.
- Gain an understanding of commercial construction for aviation, federal/military, health care, higher education, industrial, science and technology, and more.
Please be aware, it is not the practice of Messer or any of our subsidiaries to request personal information or conduct employment interviews via email or web chat. The safety and protection of your personal information are our top priorities. All offers of employment include face-to-face interview.
What's it like to be a Messer co-op at a project?
Tyler Wirth, a University of Cincinnati student working as a project engineer co-op at Messer, was featured in the Cincinnati Enquirer (photo credit Andrew Higley / University of Cincinnati) to discuss his day-to-day responsibilities while working on the University of Cincinnati Calhoun Hall renovation.
- "I feel like firsthand work experience is most important when you're going into a career, no matter what it is," he said. "You don't get the hands-on experience in classes."
- One of Wirth’s goals when he started his fall co-op was to work on his communication skills. He says he’s gotten daily opportunities to do this by running morning meetings with the foremen, and he can already tell he’s getting better.
- Wirth says he’s walked the building top to ground floor at least 50 times by now, doing safety walks three times or more each week. He likes being in the know about construction at the university.
Get to know Messer
- In business since 1932.
- Employee-owned since 1990.
- Most senior leaders began as co-ops and continued their career at Messer, some with 40+ years!
- Messer has constructed many LEED buildings, including the LEED Gold corporate office.
- Other high-performance building experience includes NetZero Energy and Living Building for commercial, health care, higher education and other clients.
We're on Handshake
You can review open positions, employee testimonials and learn more about what it means to be an employee owner (login in order to fully engage on the platform and see jobs).