US Army Corps of Engineers-Louisville District WPAFB Advanced Power & Thermal Research Laboratory

Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH

Located in Wright Patterson Air Force Base’s (WPAFB) Historic District, Building 23 was originally built in 1923 to house structural tests for aircraft carriers and parts. WPAFB renovated Building 23 to house modern research space. The interior is completely new, but the exterior maintained the historic and aesthetic feel of WPAFB’s Historic District.

Description

  • 52,000 sf includes wet, dry and RF shielded labs
  • The interior is structurally independent from the core and shell of the existing building
  • Skywalk connects Building 23 to the adjacent Building 18
  • Construction site was located 13 feet from an occupied research facility
  • LEED Gold certified - the first at WPAFB
  • U.S. Air Force “Design Award of Merit”
  • Builders Exchange of Dayton “Green Building” Award